Born in 1948, he studied art history, archaeology and history at the University of Munich and took his Ph.D. in 1976. Subsequently trainee at the Bayerisches Landesamt fuer Denkmalpflege (Bavarian National Office for the Preservation of Monuments); from 1978 to 1980 scientific collaborator just there.
Since 1980 curator at Die Neue Sammlung and lecturer for art history of the 19th and 20th century at the University of Munich. Since 1990 director of Die Neue Sammlung – The International Design Museum Munich (State Museum of Applied Arts and Design).
Professor at the Akademie der Bildenden Kuenste (Academy of Fine Arts), Munich.
Member of the Academy of Design of the Czech Republic | Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design, Prague.
Numerous book publications, exhibition catalogues and articles on themes in the fields of architecture, painting, applied arts and design, especially of the 20th and 21st century.